Underway with Github Pages

At the start of the year, I challenged myself to rebuild my personal site using Github Pages. Since then, I’ve been on a small spree - working on numerous sites to further my understanding of front-end design, styling and deploying to multiple sites via Github.

I first started “building websites” for bands that I was in (or bands of friends) in 2006; injecting (horrendous) code into their MySpace pages, overlaying the original design with one of my own.

I’m currently involved in a couple of musical projects, so it felt like a good place to start.

Stacey & John

View the WIP site

My Fiancée and I have been playing music together for the entirety of our relationship. I had originally hosted our page over on Squarespace, but we decided that their costly monthly fees could be better spent on marketing our eclectic acoustic act.

Design Criteria

  • Simple, one-page layout; optimised for traffic from social networks
  • Contact form, enabling people to send a booking enquiry
  • Mobile-first or heavily optimised for mobile

I used the Agency template, which I have found increasingly challenging and hard to use. Inital set-up was fine - but the template seems to ignore certain values in the config file and includes, which has lead me to override a number of elements that should have built themselves.

After about 4 hours work, I’m pleased with the result.

Next Steps

  • Add a set list page
  • Add SEO-targeting pages
  • Hook up our custom URL and complete the switch over

The Great Fire

View the WIP site

Starting in 2020, The Great Fire is our new four-piece covers group. There’s a lot of competition for this type of band in search results, but so many of them do a poor job of their SEO that I believe I can build a competitive site within our first 12 months.

Design Criteria

  • Rich site design with multiple pages and blog feeds
  • Contact form, enabling people to send a booking enquiry

I used the Forty template which, in my opinion, is brilliant. It has been incredibly easy to customise and seems very well put together. I’ve barely touched the site so far, but am already very happy with the result.

I immediately replaced the naff header with an SVG, something I’ve never implemented myself before. Getting the SVG added was easy, but I probably spent 2 hours learning how to scale it on multiple screens and devices. I’m also currently struggling with some wayward CSS that means I’m currently unable to use it as a link.

Next Steps

  • Continue building out the site content
  • Get that SVG logo linked to the root of the page

    (this was much harder than I thought!)

  • Add SEO-targeting pages
  • Purchase a URL and link it up